If you enjoy casting for carp, you will know how quickly the hours add up when you are idling on shimmering water. Before you know it, your phone battery is drained and you need to get your Jon boat back on the trailer before the light fails.
Plus, for those who are electronics heavy or partakers of night fishing, power requirements while angling can always seem hard to meet. This is why the best power bank for carp fishing can make all the difference to a great trip.
Having a portable source of power to keep your tech gear charged on the go totally extends the utility of useful fishing equipment. Let us take the hassle out of finding the right power bank for you with this rundown of the best power banks for carp fishing.
Here are the 5 we found most suitable
Last update on 2021-04-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why do I need a power bank to go carp fishing?
Think about it. Angling is not the sport it was 30 years ago. The need for connectivity has extended all the way to the water’s edge and then some!
A power bank really is an essential backup power supply for a range of equipment the sports fishing enthusiast will likely have on hand, to gain every advantage in landing a large carp. A power bank will be handy for powering or recharging
- Mobile phones
- Underwater fishing lights
- Nav lights
- Bite alarms and indicators
Knowing you have a reliable source of power with you, turns a bare-bones trip into quite the excursion and can keep you safe too. Fishing for carp is always a drawn-out affair and it is likely an overnight excursion will be all the more comfortable with backup power on hand.
With a power bank you don’t need to go the whole way and wheel out a portable generator you can simply charge the items you need with a small handheld unit.
How to choose the best power bank for carp fishing
Power banks vary in cost and quality, so it is important that you do your research to ensure you secure the right item. No-one wants to be saddled with a dud when they need power on the go.
We hope you’ll find these pointers helpful in locating just what you need. Generally, a lithium-ion power bank designed with the outdoors in mind should do a good job when carp fishing.
6 Factors that are essential to picking the right one
1. Power bank power
You want to be sure that your power bank’s reservoir of energy will be adequate for the demands of your gear. You should take note of the voltage (V): for USB charged devices this should be no more or less than 5 volts.
- bank capacity in milliAmpere hour (mAh): this is the flow of power that the power bank will supply at its given voltage. You can check your device battery’s capacity and look for a power bank with a capacity that is greater to ensure that your device will charge fully.
- total power capacity (Wh): which reflects the mAh multiplied by the voltage of the unit.
Power banks of medium capacity, between 6,000mAh and 15,000mAh have enough power to charge your devices a few times over.
2. Solar Power
Some power banks add great value to the angler by including an integrated solar panel for helpful replenishment of power on the go.
3. Speed of charge
Some power banks are incredibly slow to charge and even frankly drain power from the device that is meant to be being charged. Reasonable speed is vital as there is no point in having a power bank with a large capacity that does not release its power when you need it.
4. Shape and size
A decent power bank should not compete with your tackle for space. Opt for handheld, streamlined units that can be reliably handled without holding back on the capacity you need.
A power bank usually offers a variety of USB ports of varying types to allow you to connect more than one device for charging. Can your model of choice charge multiple devices simultaneously? Ensure that your devices will be suitably matched to use the output of the bank.
Indicator or LED status panels will be able to tell you how much power you have available to use and if there are any problems with the power bank’s performance. No surprises, you won’t get caught out without backup power when carp fishing.
Don’t skimp on quality!
If you will be relying on your power bank outdoors, it is best to take a good look at what you are buying as a dud power bank can damage your device or even explode on you!
Also ensure that the voltage is carefully matched for the device you want to charge. The USB standard helps with this as it signifies a compatible power bank that will adhere to some common standards in terms of how it discharges power.
Here is our selection of picks for the best power bank for carp fishing!
We’ve searched high and low and feel that these market leaders will do the job for the tech-savvy angler. Over 30 Hours of testing and market research has narrowed the choice from 100’s of power banks to these 5 which are perfectly suited for the keen carp fisherman.
This clever charger is definitely designed with outdoor pursuits in mind with an integrated solar panel, flashlight and compass, meaning you have less kit to carry.
It boasts a 20,000mAh capacity which is usually enough to fully charge an iPhone in just over 3 hours. The integrated solar panel means you can keep this bank topped up on a sunny day.
It also has a rugged easy to grip finish. Blavor’s power bank is popular with anglers, hikers, and campers who find that their devices can be sustained for a number of days by using it.
- 18 Watt
- 20,000mAh capacity
- Output: 10 Watt, 7.5 Watt, and 5 Watt
- Solar charging
- Product dimensions: 6.9 x 3.5 x 1.1 inches
- Product weight:1.4 pounds
- Powerful battery.
- Solar charging saves time and energy.
- The LED torch will come in handy at twilight.
- Fast Qi Wireless Charger
- Built-in compass
- IPX5 Waterproof
- Don’t rely on the solar function as levels of sunlight may vary.
- Using the torch for a prolonged period will drain the battery.
The Jackery Portable Power Station is the type of power bank needed by the carp angler who will not go home until they have caught the fabled big boy! This handheld unit packs in enough power for a weekend trip or night fishing with underwater light.
It is a great pick for powering devices that are under 200 Watts, meaning all your electronics should be easily supplied. This unit is capable of supplying sustained power for many hours so it will work well for night fishing lights or powering a sonar and it has all the outlets you would expect for tech gear.
If you want greater longevity this mini power station can be hooked up to the Jackery Solar Saga foldable solar panel, which is built rugged for the outdoors.
- 167 Wh 11.6Ah, 14.4V
- 46,400mAh capacity
- One 110VACoutlet
- One USB-C 5V 3 A outlet
- Two USB-A 5V 2.4 A outlets
- One DC outlet 12V 7A
- Product dimensions: 7.4 x 6.5 x 5.9 inches
- Product weight:3.9 pounds
- This is a very popular power station for outdoor enthusiasts of all kinds. It has a range of outputs meaning your electronics can be safely charged at the correct voltage.
- Great range of accessories available including solar panels of varying size and padded storage bag.
- This will definitely handle tech products but it would be ideal if you could use it around the home for other things like a hairdryer or drill.
This Techsmarter Rugged 30000 power bank is the ideal partner for a weekend on the riverbank. You will be totally set with its high-power capacity that can keep even energy guzzlers like a GPS happy and topped up.
Lots of power outlets mean loads of compatibility and this unit adjusts its power to suit the device that is being charged. The tough rugged exterior is outdoors ready and it is fabricated from tough hard-wearing materials that are water-resistant too.
This power bank can even come away unscathed from a three-foot drop. In addition, you are advantaged by having a 4-mode flashlight integrated too.
- 30000mAh capacity
- Integrated torch
- One fast-charge USB port 5-6V 3A, 6-9V 2A, 9.2-12V 1.5A
- One USB-C port
- Two 12V USB output ports
- Product dimensions: 6.69 x 3.15 x 0.79 inches
- Product weight: 1.6 pounds
- This power bank is 100% focused on outdoor performance. It can even be clipped to your backpack with an included carabineer.
- Well-sealed and waterproofed according to international standard IP66.
- Waterproof IP66, dustproof, shockproof
- 30,000 mAh capacity
- 18W TS+ Fast Charge USB Port
- Charge your smartphone battery from 0% to 54% in 35 Minutes
- Supports Pass-Through Charging
- There is little negative to say about this tough power bank, but it is not TSA compliant, so you can’t take it on a plane.
This slimline power pack from RAV Power is made for travel and will serve you well during a laid-back angling excursion at the waterside. It is fast-charging so will get phones and other devices ready to go quickly and its 3 USB ports are compatible with most devices.
At just over a pound in weight, it is one of the most lightweight of the power banks we have reviewed, which makes all the difference if you are boating and have limits on the gear you can carry.
- 26800mAh capacity
- LED battery display
- Three fast charge USB ports 5-6V 2.4A
- Product dimensions: 6.77 x 3.15 x 0.79 inches
- Product weight: 1.1 pounds
- Despite its size, you can get up to 9 days of charging from this power bank.
- The clear display keeps you updated of your battery status
- You can charge items while the power bank itself is being charged.
- This unit is far less rugged than others we’ve taken a look at so you may need to be careful with it!
This is a robust power bank with great capacity and the ability to charge up to 5 devices simultaneously! This will get an iPhone at least 50% charged in a matter of minutes thanks to its super-fast USB-C port and can easily keep your laptop or tablet going strong.
High visibility LED keeps you updated on the power bank’s energy status and the smart but rugged exterior keeps everything neatly contained.
- 30 Watts
- 26800mAh capacity
- LED battery display
- One 30 Watt USB-C port
- Four Zen+ charging ports
- Product dimensions: 6.77 x 3.15 x 0.79 inches
- Product weight: 1.06 pounds
- This is a very popular brand of power bank, that has earned a good reputation for its reliability.
- This power bank is TSA compliant, meaning you can take it onboard a plane.
- Super-Fast USB-C Charge
- It charges iPhone X, iPhone 8/ 8 Plus up to 50% in 30 minutes
- Accurate digital LED display
- 24 Month warranty
- This power bank is not necessarily water-resistant so care must be taken with moisture and impacts.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Can power banks really blow up on you?
A. Yes, they do! It is usually due to faulty design and circuitry that impacts how the elements within the power bank perform. Over voltage and overheating can also precipitate an explosion, so keep your power bank out of the sun.
Q. Can a power bank charge my bait boat?
A. Good question, because you certainly don’t want your bait boat or microcat to run out of juice on the water. Wading in after it defeats the point! Most bait boats are rechargeable and provided you have a USB adapter you should be good to go. Another great reason to keep a power bank on hand.
Q. Can a power bank damage my device’s battery?
A. Over or under-voltage of the power bank relative to your device and using your device while it is attached to the power bank can weaken the battery. Keeping the power bank attached causes overheating which is detrimental.
Q. Should I leave my power bank continually charging when I’m home?
A. No. You’ll get the best performance and longevity out of your power bank if it is never overcharged. Leave it at an 80% charge and avoid draining it as much as possible.
Rounding up: Best Power Bank for Carp Fishing
A power bank definitely adds an extra bit of convenience to hitting the water with your rod and line. Thankfully, there are a lot of different designs to choose from that certainly can meet the demands of outdoor exposure.
The larger units are especially popular for night fishing as they can power the lighting that makes all the difference in catching your fish.
Given that these devices only store and do not generate electricity you may find yourself taking more than one type or size of power bank so you can serve all your devices during your fishing trip.