If you are in the market for a rugged and reliable portable generator you have likely encountered the Generac brand. Generac is well known in the US and has built up a solid reputation for reliable portable generators.
In this review, we are going to take an in-depth look at their GP 8000E model, a classic open-frame portable generator that packs a punch with 8000 running watts, enough for a wide range of applications.
Let’s delve into the features you can expect from this 8000-watt Generac generator as well as its pros and cons and what owners and purchasers think!
For over sixty years, Generac has been a market leader in the manufacture of a wide range of home backup power solutions.
The company was founded in 1959 by Robert Kern and is credited with manufacturing the first engine that was specifically developed for generator use.
Over the decades, Generac has produced generators for leading US brands like Sears, Caterpillar, and Craftsman and expanded into the Recreation Vehicle market.
The 1980s marked Generac’s growth in home backup power solutions which has made the company what it is today. Generac’s home and industry backup power solutions provide up to 2MW of power and are available in formats as diverse as trailer-mounted generators and large home backup generators.
Ever on a growth trajectory, Generac went public in 2010 and continues to develop and innovate in the portable power sector.
The Generac range of portable generators.
Generac’s reputation and profile certainly have enough swagger for them to boast themselves as the “#1 name in home backup generators”. But really, Generac is one of the first brands that come to mind when you look for quality portable power for your home, workshop, or recreational needs.
In particular, the GP series of portable generators (of which the 8000E is one), are designed specifically as an affordable and reliable power solution that harnesses Generac’s industry-leading innovation.
This series of portable generators have running wattages of between 3500 and 8000 watts and plenty of know-how that makes this model of generator incredibly practical.
Let’s take a closer look at the characteristic features that make these open-frame portable generators stand out:
- Open frame design with toughened steel tubing cradle makes this generator strong and stable.
- Generac’s proprietary Overhead Valve (OHV) engine has splash lubrication to keep all the working components of the generator well lubricated.
- Steel fuel tanks with large capacity facilitate the maximum running time for these generators while remaining rugged and durable.
- A foldable handle that can be locked keeps the unit portable but ensures that the generator is as compact as possible for storage. All GP series generators come with a handle and wheel kit.
- Puncture-proof rugged wheels do not need replacing over the lifetime of the generator and will keep the unit portable over all sorts of surfaces.
- POWERRUSH™ proprietary advanced technology beefs up the starting capacity of these generators by up to 40%, meaning you get way more productivity from your power.
- HOMELINK™ compatibility provided by Generac is an amazing manual transfer switch that enables you to let your Generac 8000E generator take over the powering of your home’s hardwired devices like gas furnaces!
So why the Generac 8000E?
The Generac GP8000E is one of the highest specification and capacity models in its series and takes a no-nonsense approach to meeting your portable power needs safely and conveniently.
It is a great choice if you are looking to invest in a portable generator that you want to last a long time. Not just for that birthday party or family camping trip, but a quality generator you will store, maintain and rely on for a significant proportion of your household power in an emergency.
With 8000 watts running capacity you have a lot of power to work with meaning supplying backup power does not have to be a juggling or jeopardy process.
- Featuring power Rush advanced technology – delivers over 30% more starting capacity allowing you to do more with less
- Dimensions: 27.2 W x 27 D x 26.5 H | Weight: 198 lb
- 10000 Starting Watts. 8000 Running Watts
- Electric start Model for easy operation (Battery included)
- Generac durable OHV engine with splash lubrication provides a long engine life
- Large-capacity steel fuel tank with incorporated fuel gauge provides durability and up to an 11 hour run-time at 50% load
A closer look at the Generac GP 8000E.
We have pulled together a comprehensive list of the specifications of this generator so that you can quickly evaluate if it is going to meet your needs.
We are sure that you see that the Generac GP 8000E delivers a lot of power for your hard-earned dollars:
Key specifications of the GP 8000E
- AC starting wattage: 10,000 watts
- AC running watts: 8000 watts
- Starting method: Electric start or recoil pull-start
- Battery: 12V DC lead-acid battery
- Battery dimensions: 5.94 by 2.56 by 3.70 inches
- Spark plug: Bosch F7TC
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Fuel tank capacity: 7.9 gallons (29.9L)
- Oil capacity: 1 liter
- Rated AC voltage: 120 or 240 volts
- AC frequency: 60 Hz
- Engine type: 3600 RPM, 420cc OHV engine
- Length: 27.2 inches (69.2cm) Extended length with the handle unfolded: 45.5 inches (115.5cm)
- Width: 27 inches (68.4cm)
- Height: 26.5 inches (67.4cm)
- Weight: 200 pounds (90 kg) Shipping weight: 214 pounds (97 kg)
The GP8000E has insightful engineering and features that make its use and maintenance hassle-free. Firstly, you will benefit from being able to start the 420cc engine with an electric start, with a 12-volt battery included making sure that this option is always available.
The start switch on the control panel has start, run, and off positions. Alternatively, the classic recoil method is also available if the battery goes flat. The choke for the generator is located on the engine.
The generous fuel and oil capacity means that you can run this generator for a long time before requiring a refill. The fuel tank has a visual gauge meaning you can stay on top of refills.
Generac recommends 10w30 oil for lubrication which is distributed in the engine by the splash lubrication method. This generator has a low-oil shutdown and the fuel tank shut-off is prominently located on the fuel tank.
Moving your generator around is easy and the generator comes with never-flat wheels of 9.5 inches in diameter. The wheels need to be assembled on the generator as well as the folding handle that has a comfortable dual grip.
An easy-to-use control panel that has everything right where you need it.
Aside from robust hardware, the control panel of this generator stands out as being straightforward to use with easy access to a variety of outlets. Here is what you can expect on the control panel:
- An hour meter so you can keep track of running time.
- The start switch.
- Two 120V 20A GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets. These outlets can detect ground faults and protect you and your connected equipment by shutting off the power to the outlet.
- Two 1-pole 20A circuit breakers.
- One 120V/240V 30A twist-lock outlet.
- A 12V battery charger input
- One 2-pole 30A circuit breaker.
What can I power with the GP 8000E generator?
With 8000 watts in hand, you have a lot of options for running larger household appliances like furnaces, fridges, freezers, and of course, your lighting.
Many owners of this generator say that it will run a large RV or small house with ease. To prevent overloading, you will need to do a bit of power management homework, jotting down starting and running wattages for your equipment and appliances to ensure that everything can be handled by this generator.
You can expect to run this generator for up to 15 hours with a 25% load and 10 hours with a 50% load. Keep track of running time via the timer on the control panel.
Pros and Cons
This is a pretty smart generator but as with any product, there are both pluses and minuses. Let’s take a look at the take-home pros and cons of making this generator your own:
Pros of the Generac GP 8000E Generator
- Great fuel and oil capacity: it is clear on visual inspection that this generator has prioritized maximizing the fuel tank size and dimension. This makes all the difference to running the unit as you will have less frequent fuel and oil top-ups.
- High spec engine: the engine makes all the difference in how the generator performs. We also appreciate the splash lubrication that ensures that all parts are kept running smoothly.
- Compact for its capacity: Generac has nailed a very compact design for the capacity of this generator. It may weigh as much as a man, but it certainly takes up less space.
- Low oil shut down: is always useful, though you have a whole liter oil tank to work with.
- Robust overload protection and warning lights: if you overload this generator, you can be confident that it will shut itself off before it does itself damage!
Cons of the Generac GP 8000E Generator
- More outlets would be great – especially DC: you can never have too many outlets, but the range on this generator is a little sparse, especially as there is no DC outlet.
- The handle adds a whole lot of excess length: it is almost the same length as the generator making the setup look like a plow.
- Assembly work is needed: some purchasers were unpleasantly surprised by having to attach the handles, wheels, feet, and wiring up the battery.
- You have to charge the battery: the generator will not charge the battery itself.
When things go wrong…the warranty situation for the Homelink 8000E generator
Generac provides a decent 2-year manufacturer’s warranty for this generator. For your generator to be eligible it must be registered with the company, or you will need proof of purchase.
The use of the generator must be for consumer activities such as personal household or recreational use.
The warranty covers defects in the materials and workmanship of the generator and Generac will repair or replace defective parts or the entire generator. Inspection and any required repairs may be undertaken by Generac or an authorized service dealer,
What owners think of the Generac GP 8000E
- An overwhelmingly positive reception
Purchasers of this generator have responded positively to this unit with the majority of reviewers online awarding a 5-star rating to this generator. The technologies and features integrated into this generator, for example, the hour counter, are appreciated by seasoned generator vets.
- Capacity means you will be comfortable
With an 8000-watt capacity, you have more than enough power to run several appliances or pieces of outdoor equipment. People who have purchased this generator for family camping trips have found that they can enjoy every convenience, including phones and screens, without the worry of overloading the unit.
- Purchasers aren’t fans of the assembly process
A frequent complaint is that the instructions and diagrams for assembling the GP 8000E are too small. Also adding the handle and wheels has been a challenge for some owners. If you need the Generac GP 8000E user manual, you can find it here.
- As with most portable genny’s, you can get defective units
Some reviewers complained of generators that were DOA or sparked out shortly after their first use. This is a problem that is common to all generators, and Generac stepped up to offer a timely repair.
- Care with shipping
There have been some real shipping fails with this generator, with cracked or damaged parts due to poor handling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is this generator brushless?
The GP 8000E is a brushless generator.
Q. Can I use the GP 8000E with propane gas?
To use this generation with propane would require a carburetor conversion. This is entirely possible, but Generac is very clear that this completely invalidates the warranty. Generac does not produce a proprietary liquid propane converter kit for this generator.
Q. Can I connect the Generac GP 8000E directly to a building’s electrical system?
This generator has compatibility with Generac’s HOMELINK transfer switch system. However, making a competent and safe connection to your property supply needs to be undertaken by a qualified electrician in compliance with local and national electrical codes.
We hope we have been able to get you fully appraised of the features and benefits of the Generac GP 8000E generator. Of course, individual units may have their troubleshooting issues but overall, this generator really sticks to its brief of generating clean power efficiently and reliably.