Can a portable generator run a refrigerator? Generators are generally purchased to power two major classes of appliances: refrigerators and HVAC equipment. Most of us know that you can run a refrigerator, heater and other heavy-duty appliances when running a backup generator designed to provide power for your home.
Can a portable generator run a refrigerator? A generator with 3000 watts must have enough starting watts to handle the compressor load as the refrigerator turns on. This means that you can run a generator to keep the refrigerator going if it has at least 3000 watts and 3300 starting watts.
Let us get into the detail and ensure you purchase the best generator to run your refrigerator in an emergency or power outage.
- 1 Can a portable generator run a refrigerator?
- 2 What is the power draw of the average refrigerator?
- 3 Our Choice of Generator to run a refrigerator?
- 4 What do you need to run a freezer?
- 5 How long will a generator support my refrigerator?
- 6 Can I run both the refrigerator and air conditioner from the same generator?
- 7 Wattage Guide for household appliances
- 8 Do I need an inverter generator to run a refrigerator?
- 9 Here’s the TOP 5 BEST SELLING GENERATORS on Amazon
Can a portable generator run a refrigerator?
Can a portable generator run a refrigerator? The short answer is yes, if you use a powerful enough portable generator. For example, you cannot run a generator with 2000 watts and keep the average large refrigerator going.
A generator with 3000 watts must have enough starting watts to handle the compressor load as the refrigerator turns on. This means that you can run a generator to keep the refrigerator going if it has at least 3000 watts and 3300 starting watts.
Below is an example of a suitable generator to run a refrigerator
- 3700 Rated Watts and 4500 Peak Watts at Less Than 3% THD – Telescoping Handle – Gas Powered – Remote...
- Features a 5–20R 120V Duplex Household Outlet, an RV-Ready Tt-30R 30 Amp Outlet and Two USB Outlets –...
- Led Data Center: Rotating Digital Display Shows Fuel Level, Power Output, Remaining Run Time, Voltage Output,...
- Extremely Quiet, Extremely Fuel Efficient: as Low as 52 dBA Noise Output and Up to 18 Hour Run Time on a 3. 4...
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual...
Last update on 2022-06-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How do I know how large of a generator I need to supply power to my refrigerator?
The wattage required by the refrigerator should be on the nameplate. If the refrigerator only shows the voltage and amperage, multiply these two numbers to get the watts required to power it.
However, refrigerators require an extra “jolt” or surge of power when the compressor motor starts up. The generator must be able to supply this surge power if the fridge is to come on. If it can’t, you’ll either kill the generator or the fridge will fail to start up.
How much power does the refrigerator need when starting up? Multiply the running wattage or the wattage listed on the nameplate by 1.5. If your fridge needs 2000 watts to run, play it safe by connecting it to a 3000 watt generator.
A small 1000 watt refrigerator only needs 1500 watts of surge power. That means a 2000 watt generator could support the small 1000 watt fridge both at startup and continual operations, but you can’t connect two 1000 watt fridges and turn them on if you want them to stay on.
What is the power draw of the average refrigerator?
The average household refrigerator needs 1500 to 2000 watts of power to run once it has started up. This means the average refrigerator needs 2000 to 2500 watts of power to start up. It also means that a 2000 watt generator will supply the average refrigerator once it is running.
However, your generator either needs to be more powerful than this or have an inverter capable of delivering several hundred watts of surge power long enough for the compressor to start up.
Our Choice of Generator to run a refrigerator?
- 3100 running watts & 3400 starting watts
- RV Ready - TT-30R outlet
- 120V AC load
- 12V DC outlet
- Up to 7.5 hours run time at 25% load
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5...
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before...
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
- Advanced Open Frame Inverter Design: 50% quieter and 20% lighter than a traditional Champion 3500-watt...
- Quiet Technology and Extended Run Time: 64 dBA is great for RVs, tailgating, your next project or home backup,...
- Clean electricity for sensitive electronics: RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets...
- Parallel Ready: Increase your power output by connecting up to two 2800-watt or higher inverter or digital...
- Champion Support: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What do you need to run a freezer?
A 2000 watt portable generator can easily support a 500 watt deep freezer, though the load at startup is closer to 700 watts. This means a standard portable generator could support two small freezers, though it may support a small freezer and mini-fridge.
An Energy Star rated freezer requires around 1200 watts of power at startup and less than 1000 watts of continuous power.
How long will a generator support my refrigerator?
Let’s use a mid-sized refrigerator that needs 1200 starting watts and 700 watts of continuous power. We’ll assume you have a 3000 watt portable generator. The extra power capacity means you can run lights or other small appliances in addition to running the refrigerator.
More importantly, the generator can support the refrigerator’s continuous load in energy saving “eco-mode”. A 3000 watt portable generator will produce 500 watts for ten hours at quarter power. And it would support a 700 watt baseload.
Given this rate of fuel consumption, the generator will run eight to nine hours on a single tank of gas.
Can I run both the refrigerator and air conditioner from the same generator?
The average household air conditioner isn’t going to be supported by a portable generator. However, a window AC requires about 1500 watts of continuous power and 2200 watts of surge power.
You could run the window AC or a refrigerator from the average 2000 watt inverter generator. Or you could run both with a 3500 watt or better generator. Always balance the peak load and continuous load with the safe limits for the generator.
What features should I look for in a portable generator intended to run a refrigerator?
A die-hard camper may not care about a pull-cable to start the generator. However, homeowners trying to set up a generator to keep a fridge full of food from going bad can’t risk a broken pull cable.
Many homeowners lack the physical strength to get the generator to start with a single pull. This makes electric push-button starters essential for this application.
Another factor to consider is noise. If you’re camping, you’ll be able to set the generator twenty or thirty feet from the RV or campsite. Noise ordinances can be met by moving the generator further away from others’ campsites.
A portable generator intended to power a refrigerator would ideally run all night. And since it is being run in the average suburban neighborhood, the noise is going to bother someone, no matter where the generator sits. Consider looking for relatively quiet generators.
The difference between a 60 dBa and 70 dBa generator will be your quality of sleep. It may also allow you to run the generator though the power is out, though many jurisdictions suspend noise ordinances when there is an emergency.
Buy the smallest generator that will meet your baseline power needs. For example, if you plan on running a refrigerator that requires 1500 watts, get a generator with at least 2000 watts of baseline power. Then you can run the refrigerator plus a few lights and other little items. And you won’t accidentally kill the generator because you turned on a fan.
However, there’s no need to buy a 4000 watt generator if your baseline load would be around 2000 watts. Not only is this a waste of money, but the larger generator will burn through fuel faster.
Wattage Guide for household appliances
|Appliances||Running Watts||Start Up Watts|
|Clock Radio||3 W||5 W|
|Phone Charger||3 W||5 W|
|Google Nest||5 W||5 W|
|Tablet Computer||10 W||15 W|
|32 In LED TV||20 W||60 W|
|Air Purifier||25 W||30 W|
|Humidifier||35 W||40 W|
|Cooling Fan||40 W||60 W|
|Freezer||40 W||60 W|
|PS4 or Xbox||50 W||120 W|
|Lightbulb 60 W||60 W||60 W|
|Water Dispenser||100 W||100 W|
|Refrigerator||150 W||300 W|
|American Style Refrigerator||200 W||500 W|
|Garden Strimmer||300 W||500 W|
|Submersible Water Pump||350 W||500 W|
|Music Stereo||400 W||400 W|
|Vacuum Cleaner||400 W||1000 W|
|Toaster||700 W||1900 W|
|Electric Drill||800 W||1100 W|
|Coffee Maker||800 W||1000 W|
|Washing Machine||800 W||800 W|
|Lawn Mower||1000 W||1500 W|
|Air Fryer||1400 W||1400 W|
|Air Compressor||1500 W||4800 W|
|Oven||2000 W||2000 W|
|Home Air Conditioner||1200 W||4000 W|
|RV Air Conditioner||1300 W||4500 W|
|Belt Sander||1400 W||2400 W|
|Hairdryer||1400 W||1400 W|
|Hammer Drill||1700 W||1600 W|
|Air Compressor – 1 HP||1600 W||4800 W|
|Welding Rig||2500 W||3000 W|
Take a look at our GENERATOR SIZE CALCULATOR to work out what wattage generator to buy.
Do I need an inverter generator to run a refrigerator?
No, not if the generator’s peak load can handle the surge power demand by the refrigerator. However, inverters do have a number of advantages.
You could charge handheld devices like smartphones and tablets from the inverter without putting much of a load on the generator, assuming the generator isn’t exactly matched to the refrigerator’s load. And the inverter acts as a backup power source.
When the generator is off, the inverter can still power LED lanterns and other small devices for an hour or more.
Another alternative for running smaller devices and charging phones and laptops would be a power station or power bank. Read our complete guide on these portable power sources here.
We hope that we have answered the question: Can a portable generator run a refrigerator?
Here’s the TOP 5 BEST SELLING GENERATORS on Amazon
- Plenty of Power – With 4,000 peak watts and 3,300 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from...
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 208cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle...
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that...
- Power Panel – The power panel includes a selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications...
- Complies with Emissions Standards – All DuroMax generators are both approved by the EPA (Environmental...
- 3000 Watts (25 Amp) of Honda Inverter 120V AC Power
- Convenient electric starting (battery included) with recoil back-up
- Super quiet operation, only 50 to 57 dBA
- Fuel Efficient, runs up to 19.6 hours on 3.4 Gallons of fuel
- Advanced inverter technology provides reliable power to computers and other sensitive equipment
- Powerdial Recoil Start (Off/Run/Cold Start) offers three settings integrated into one simple-to-use dial.
- Ultra quiet performance with fully enclosed case.
- RPM+ automatically adjusts engine RPM based on load demand to reduce sound emissions and conserve fuel.
- Clean, stable power with less than 3% total harmonic distortion for safe operation of sensitive electronics....
- Lightweight design with built-in handle for easy portability. Powermate OHV Engine provides consistent power...
- 4 USB Ports
- 3 120V A/C Outlets
- 3000W Peak 2000Watt Continuous
- Bright LED Display Shows Run Time
- Included (4) 5. 0Ah Battery, (4) USB Ports & (4) Port Battery Charger (when plugged in)
- Popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, including a furnace, fridge, microwave, TV, blenders,...
- Super quiet: so quiet, your neighbors will thank you; the EU3000is operates at 49 to 58 dB (A), which is less...
- Fuel efficient runs up to 20 hours on 3.4 Gal. of fuel: thanks to our exclusive eco-throttle, the EU3000 is...
- Advanced inverter technology - reliable power for computers and other sensitive equipment: Honda's inverter...
- Protected by oil alert: this protects the generator by shutting the engine off when low oil is detected
Last update on 2022-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API